Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Old MacDonald had a Cupcake?




When my fave coeliac buddy asked me to make some gluten free cupcakes for a 3rd birthday I just couldn't resist trying out some new farm animal sugar art on them. The party was a mix of little girls and boys so I figured some cute little moo-cows, piggys and chicks would keep everybody happy! Each animal was a different flavour cake, we had Gluten Free Hummingbird Cakes with Maple Syrup Buttercream frosting decorated with handmade sugar piggies, Flourless Orange Cakes with Citrus Buttercream frosting and decorated with handmade sugar chicks and Gluten Free Classic Chocolate Cakes with Vanilla Buttercream frosting decorated with handmade sugar cows. EE-eye EE-eye OH!

5 comments:

Rilsta said...

These are so adorable!! I noticed that you listed 3 different types of icing but they are all green. Did you just colour them all with green icing?

Cherry Blossom Cupcakes said...

Hi Rilsta,
Thanks for your comment. Yes, all the frostings are a cream colour in their natural state and I have tinted them mint green with a paste colour.

Belle@Ooh, Look said...

Who would have thought that hummingbird cake could be gluten-free? Great idea to decorate the cakes as cute animals, too, to make them even more enticing!

Rilsta said...

Thanks! All your icing flavours always sound so sublime! I think I need to experiment more! :)

Cherry Blossom Cupcakes said...

Belle, I would never have experimented so much with gluten free flavours if it wasn't for the demand. I personally have a long, loving relationship with gluten but I feel compelled to make super scrumptious cake flavours for those that can't eat it so they don't miss out! I wasn't sure how the hummingbird would hold up but you honestly couldn't tell the difference!