Thursday, May 13, 2010

Precious Persimmon Cupcakes




My parents returned from a driving trip to Bright with 4 cases of the most enormous persimmons I have ever seen. The word 'moderation' has not made it into my Italian mother's vocabulary as yet (and never will). So, what to do with an abundance of persimmons? When life gives you lemons, make lemonade and when life gives you persimmons make persimmon cupcakes of course! I sifted through endless recipes to come up with a cupcake that would complement the unique flavour of a persimmon which, to the uninitiated, apparently tastes "softly sweet and pudding-like" according to my google search. I decided on a spicy, fragrant cupcake with all of those yummy autumn flavours like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. This is a Persimmon Spice Cupcake with Orange Buttercream Frosting and decorated with handmade sugar flowers. These are really a one off creation as I probably won't have an abundance of persimmons at hand very often but they really are delicious and well worth the effort.

4 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Wow they are enormous aren't they! What a delicious sounding cupcake too! :)

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge said...

Oh my god, they actually sound quite fantastic!!!

mangocheeks said...

Persimmons in a cupcake! Sounds wonderful.

Kat (Spatula, Spoon and Saturday) said...

oh I love persimmons. what a great idea in cupcakes. my Thai mother hasn't grasped the concept of moderation either. theyre a strange breed, arent they?